Watford 6 - 1 AFC Bournemouth Match Report.

12/08/2013 16:57

A magnificent second half performance from Watford secured a thumping 6-1 win over Sky Bet Championship new comers AFC Bournemouth and moved the Hornets to the top of the championship table. The score line tells a different story to the actual game. The fact is, Bournemouth did not deserve to loose 6-1. After the Hornets scored the opener, Bournemouth grew into the first half and the hornets were fortunate to go in at the break level at 1-1. Bournemouth continued to impress for the first ten minutes of the second half but as Watford scored their 2nd and 3rd goals, Bournemouth tried to get back into the match large amouts of space appeared and the Hornets did that and clinically scored the chances that they had. It was a memorable afternoon at Vicarage Road as the 16,000 plus crowd got to witness the first Watford Hat-trick in ten years as Troy Deeney netted a second half hat trick. Gianfranco Zola stuck with the same side that beat Birmingham 1-0. Ikechi Anya recovered from his injury in time to start. Surprisingly, their was no place in the matchday 18 for Sean Murray who impressed during The Hornets 3-1 win over Bristol Rovers midweek in the Capital One Cup. As for Bournemouth, Eddie Howe made one change to the side that beat Charlton. Andrew Surman replaced Wes Thomas who took his place on the bench. The Hornets started the brighter and Lewis McGugan tested Ryan Allsop early on when the Bournemouth goalkeeper easily saved the Hornets midfielders free kick. Bournemouth showed their sign of intent a few minutes later when Marc Pugh passed some half hearted Watford challenges before powering a curling effort over the bar. Bournemouth then nearly took the lead soon after that. From a free kick, hornets Captain and goalkeeper Manuel Almunia made an unconvincing punch which Lewis Grabban latched onto but the Bournemouths strikers effort hit the side netting. It was an early let off for the Hornets. Livewire wing back Ikechi Anya, then cut in from the left hand side on and fired a shot at goal with his favoruited right back which was deflected just wide. Fromt he resultant corner, the Hornets were ahead. Almen Abdis low corner was flicked on at the near post by Cassetti before the ball bobbled and bounced around the box. Troy Deeney (who was being pulled) managed to just divert the ball into the path of new signing Gabrielle Angella who smashed the ball into the roof of the net to send Vicarage Road into raptures. This was the Hornets defenders second goal in two games after netting his debut goal earlier on in the week during the win against Bristol Rovers. But Bournemouth looked threating throughout the first half and nearly equalised immeadiatley after the hornets had scored. Lewis Grabban run through into the penalty area and his shot was saved by Almunia. Watford tried to get a foothold back in the game by keeping possesion but Bournemouth equalised in the 30th minute and it was a good goal. Bouremouths Ryan Fraser who had been a threat all afternoon, was played in behind the Hornets defence and his low cross was tapped in by Lewis Grabbam. It was the Bournemouth strikers third goal of the season. The game then went into a bit of a lull heading into half time but in the added minutes, Almen Abdi tried his luck from a free kick but his shot was easily saved.

Half Time - 1-1

Whatever Gianfranco Zola said at Half Time certainly worked as the Hornets came out determined to win the match. 7 minutes after half time and the Hornets were back in front. After a hopefull ball over the top, Ikechi Anya managed to get the ball before being hauled down near the corner flag by the rous. Referee James Adcock pointed for a free kick. Almen Abdi played the ball into the box and Gabrielle Angella glanced the ball into the net. That was the turning point in the game. Three minutes later and the Hornets went 3-1 up. After winning the ball, Deeney passed to Fernando Forestieri who then played the ball back into the big striker and Deeney did the buisiness with the strikers deflected strike going into the goal. This was Deeney's second goal of the season. Forestieri then tried an ambitios overhead kick which was too central for Allsop in the Bournemouth goal. Ikechi Anya grew and grew into the game and the wing back fired a ball into the area which only just went wide. The Hornets found more space as Bournemouth tried to get back into the game but they were effectivley killed off in the 66th minute. Almen Abdi released Lewis McGugan who had continued his run into the box and the new recruit took a touch before cooly slotting the ball into the far corner. This was McGugans first goal for the Hornets since joining in the summer from Nottingham Forest. The game then subsided again but the Hornets scored two late goals to well and truely seal the win. Deeney fought for space in the area and won the ball the ball before turning and firing the ball into the top corner just outside the area. Then in injury time, Deeney had the chance to score a hat trick when from a corner, Diego Fabbrini was bought down and referee James Adcock had no hesitiation in pointing to the spot. Deeney ran to grab the ball so that he could take the penatly. After Adcock blew his whistle, Deeney ran up and cooly slotted the ball home to become the first person since Michael Chopra in 2003 to score a hat trick for Watford. This was also Deeney's first hat trick of his career. This was the former Walsall mans fourth goal of the season and has certainly picked up where he left off last season. After the rest of injury time was completed, Adcock blew his whistle and this was the first time Watford scored six goals at home since 1996.

Full Time - 6-1

Team Lineups

Watford - Almunia (GK)(C) 6 , Doyley 7, Anglla 9, Cassetti 7, Anya 8, Iriney 7, Abdi 7, McGugan 8 (Battochio 75 6), Faraoni 7 (Pudil 65 7), Forestieri 8 (Fabbrini 6), Deeney 10.

Subs Not Used - Bond (GK), Ekstrand, Acuna, Smith.

Goals - Angella (13,53) Deeney (56,88,90(Pen), McGugan (66)

Yellow Cards - Faraoni, Cassetti.

My Watford Man Of The Match - Troy Deeney. Close call between Deeney and Angella but Deeney just does it after a fantastic second half performance and hat trick.

Bournemouth - Allsop (GK), Francis (C), Cook, Ward, Daniels (Harte 55), Pugh (O Kane 69) , Arter, MacDonald (Pitman 61), Surman, Fraser, Grabban,

Subs Not Used - Flahaven, Hughes, Thomas, Frockley.

Goals - Grabban (30)

Yellow Cards - Arter.

Possesion - 35% Watford 65% Bournemouth

Attendance - 16,295 (1605 Bournemouth Fans)

Referee - James Adcock.