Watford 4 - 1 Barnsley Match Report.

04/12/2012 17:48

Watford recorded their second 4-1 victory of the week on Saturday after beat Barnsley 4-1 at Vicarage Road thanks to goals from Troy Deeney (2), Mark Yeates and Matej Vydra. Marcus Tudgay got a late consolation for Barnsley after an accomplished performance from the Golden Boys. Watford didnt always dominate the game and Barnsley provided a good test until the second hornets goal went in. Watford only made one change to the side that beat Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday Night. Alex Geijo made way for Troy Deeney. For Barnsley, Emile Sinclair came in for Reuben Noble Lazarus. Watford were on top during the opening stages. After a mistake from Martin Craine, Marco Cassetti drove in to the box and his hard shot was saved by Barnsley goalkeeper Luke Steele and Troy Deeney could not get to the rebound. But the Hornets woulds have to wait long for the opening goal and it came in the 10th minute. Nathaniel Chalobah's cross was put behind for a Corner. Mark Yeates took it from the right hand side and his well hit corner was met by Deeney and his placed header went in to the top of the goal from close range. The striker made it 5 goals in 5 games and scored on his 100th appearence for the club. Watford continued to pressurise and Mark Yeates free kick was put beh9ind for a corner which ended up coming to nothing. Barnsley made their first real attack soon after with Akos Buzsaky's low effort going wide of Hornets goalkeeper and Captain Manuel Almunia's goal. Barnsley went even closer minutes later when Craig Davies header was pushed on to the post by Manuel Almunia who then got back across his goal to tip over Marcus Tudgays effort. Fernando Forestieri was saved by Luke Steele on 25 minutes and from the resulting corenr Joel Ekstrand touch from Yeates corner sailed well wide of the goal. Marco Cassetti went even closer minutes later when he met Yeates corner but his powerful header smacked the crossbar. Then Fernando Forestieri burst clear of the Barnsley defence with 10 minutes remaining of the half but he slowed down and allowed Martin Crainie to catch him up. The Barnsley tackled Forestieri who went down but referee Fred Graham turned away penalty apeals. Barnsley scored a ewualiser in the 39th minute if it werent for a great piece of defending by Tommie Hoban. Emile Sinclair ran clear of Watfords defence and rounded Manuel Almunia and looked Destined to score. But Sincairs shot hit Tommie Hoban on the Chest who was covering on the line and was then cleared by the Hornets.

Half Time - 1-0

Barnsley grew more into the match in the second half and restricted the Hornets to a few atempts. But Watford doubled their lead in the 59th minute when Deeney held the ball up just outside the penalty area near the corner flag. Mark Yeates took the ball of him and dribbled in to the box. He then shot past Steele to make it 2-0 to the Golden Boys and to make it his second goal in two games. This is only his second goal that he has scored at Vicarage Road. Watford made it 3-0 in the 65th minute. Forestieri was fouled just outside the area and Fred Graham blew for a free kick. Forestieri took the kick quickly playing it into Troy Deeney who took a first time shot which rolled it into the bottom corner to make it 3-0. Deeney is now a man in form with that goal making it 6 goals in 5 games for the Hornets hitman. Watford made 2 substitutions soon after with Matej Vydra replacing Fernando Forestieri and Cristian Battochio replacing Nathaniel Chalobah. Barnsley crumbled after the second and third goal and Deeney nearly had his hat - trick in the 79th minute when his shot was excellently save by Luke Steele in the Barnsley goal. This would be Deeney's last involvement as he was replaced by Alex Geijo in the 81st minute. But Watford won a penalty in the 83rd minute when Vydra was pulled down inside the penalty area by Jimmy McNulty and referee Fred Graham pointed straight to the spot. As Deeney was off the pitch, Vydra took up Penalty duties and his shot was well placed into the corner of Barnsleys goal to make it 4-0. It was nearly 5 soon after when Joel Ekstrand strove forward and his fantastic shot was tipped over my Steele. From the resulting corner, Ekstrand hit the post with a header. But in the 3rd minute of added time, Barnsley scored a consolation after Joel Ekstrand gave the ball straight to Marcus Tudgay who ran in the box and calmly hit the ball past Manuel Almunia who deserved a clean sheet after his performance.

Full Time - 4-1

Team Lineups

Watford - Almunia (GK)(C), Ekstrand, Hall, Hoban, Pudil, Chalobah (Battochio 71) Hogg, Yeates, Cassetti, Forestieri (Vydra 67), Deeney (Geijo 81)

Subs not used - Bonham (GK), Dickinson, Murray, Mujangi Bia.

Goals - Deeney (10) (65), Yeates (59), Vydra (Pen) (83)

Yellow Cards - 0

Barnsley -  Steele (GK)(C), Cranie, Foster, McNulty, Golbourne, Greening (O'Brien 81), Buzsaky, Mellis (Dawson 32), Tudgay, Sinclair (Noble - Lazarus 70), Davies.

Subs not used - Alnwick (GK), Wiseman, Cywka, Stones.

Yellow Cards - 0

Possesion - Watford 54%, Barnsley 46%

Attendance - 11,335 (311 Barnsley Fans)

Referee - Fred Graham.