Watford 4 - 0 Huddersfield Match Report and Player Ratings.

21/01/2013 17:13

Watford overcame the poor weather conditions to thrash Huddersfield 4-0 and move withing 4 points of second place in the table. The match was given the go ahead at 9:00 am and 100 volunteers including the fire crew, helped clear the pitch in time for the match. As a genrous donation, they were all handed free match tickets. Harry the Hornets was once again in fantastic form with him diving into the snow and avoiding snowballs thrown at him by Hornets supporters. Also during half time, Harry made a brilliant save from Huddersfields substitue goalkeeper Ian Bennett.The first half was close between the two sides but after the break, Watford were in complete control of the match. Troy Deeney, another brace from Matej Vydra and first goal for Cristian Battochio in a Watford shirt meant Watford sealed another win and a rare clean sheet for the hosts. Gianfranco Zola made one change to the side that beat Middlesborough last weeked. Daniel Pudil missed the match due to his son being taken ill meaning that Craig Forsyth took his place. This was Forsyth's first start in the championship this season after starting in the Capital One Cup defeat at the hands of Bradford. Their was also one change on the bench with Geoffrey Mujangi Bia replacing Forsyth's place. Simon Grayson also made once change for Huddersfield which saw Callum Woods replace Oliver Norwood. The match was fairly dull for the first 35 minutes with Watford creating the best oppotunites.  Craig Forsyth had a weak shot easily saved by Huddersfield goalkeeper Alex Smithies. Then Sean Scannell saw a fierce shot go just wide of Manuel Almunia's goal. Then Troy Deeney was played through and he was nudged when going round the goalkeeper meaning that he was forced wide and his shot went harmlessly over. Referee Scott Duncan and Huddersfield Forward James Vaughan then played a bigger part in the game in the last ten minutes. Firstly,Vaughan should have been booked  by Duncan when he made a hard tackle from behind on Nathaniel Chalobah meaning that the Chelsea Loanee had to recieve treatment. Then Vaughan was lucky not to see red. Firstly Manuel Almunia cleared the ball and the forward slid in very late with studs showing. Almunia was not pleased and lay injured for a few minutes. After initially having a talking to by Duncan, Vaughan walked away to have a go at Almunia and he slapped the Hornets captain sparking a brawl between players. Maybe Duncan didnt see the incident but Vaughan was only booked. Watford got their act together in the final few minutes. Firstly, in the 44th minute, Troy Deeney hit the bar with a culing shot. The ball then bounced down and Cristian Batochios header was blocked, Vydras flick was blocked on the line and Almen Abdi's effort was also blocked but according to Hornets players, it struck Huddersfield Captain Peter Clarke on the hand. Then Watford were given a penalty in the last minute of added time. Callum Woods fouled Matej Vydra on the line of the Penalty area and referee Duncan instantly pointed to the sport. However, replays showed that the tackle was maid just outside the area. But never mind. Troy Deeney instantly picked up the ball to take the penalty. After a long wait before Duncan blew his whilstle, Deeney stepped up and drilled a low effort home. That would be the last action of the half.

Half Time - 1 - 0

During half time, Alex Smithies reacted angrily to Watford fans. When he was warming up in the goal in front of the Rookery Stand, Hornets fans threw Snowballs at him. Smithies was not pleased, and smashed the ball into the stands. Huddersfield made once change at half time when Adam Clayton was replaced by Keith Southern. In the 58th minute, Watford doubled their advantage. Marco Cassetti swung in a brilliant cross which was met by the stretching boot of Matej Vydra and the ball went in to the top corner. This was the strikers 15th goal of the season and provoked chants 'Super Matty Vydra' and 'Sign him up'. The Czech nearly doubled his advantage but shot wide when played in by Almen Abdi. Huddersifled nearly got a goal back but Manuel Almunia pulled of a fantastic save. Jermain Beckford met a cross and the ball seemed to be going in to the net but Almunia stretched outhis hand and palmed the ball away. Then Vydra did double his tally in the 74th minute. After some great hold up play by Troy Deeney the striker played in Vydra who was one on one and scored easily (Like He always does!!!). This was the Czech strikers 16th of the season and chants of 'Super Matty Vydra' and 'Sign Him Up' was being chanted around Vicarage Road. Alex Geijo came on in the 84th minute and then nearly scored with his first touch. A Corner was swung in and the big swiss striker met it at the back post and the header hit the side netting. But then Watford scored one of their goals of the season. After 12 passes between the Hornets Players, Marco Cassetti swung in a cross which Cristian Battochio met with his right boot and the ball trickled into the far corner to make the score 4-0. Overall, it was a brilliant second half performanc for the Hornets after they struggled to get through the Huddersfield Defence during thefirst half. With the likes of Vydra and Deeney up front, Watford are now very much a force to be recconed with.

Full Time - 4 - 0

Team Lineups and Ratings for the Orns

Watford - Almunia (GK)(C) 7, Doyley 7, Ekstrand 7, Nosworthy 7, Cassetti 8, Chalobah 6 (Eustace 58), Abdi 7, Battochio 7, Forsyth 7, Deeney 9 (Geijo 84), Vydra 8 (Forestieri 75).

Subs not used - Bond(GK), Hall,Yeates, Mujangi Bia.

Goals - Deeney (45 Pen), Vydra (58, 74), Battochio (86).

Yellow Cards - Cassetti (43).

Huddersfield - Smithies (GK), Dixon, Gerrard, Clark (C), Woods, Scannell ( Arfield 79) , Clayton (Southern 46), Dann, Hunt, Vaughan (Novak 59), Beckford.

Subs Not Used - Bennett (GK), Norwood, Lee, Wallace.

Yellow Cards - Vaughan, Woods,Clarke.

Possesion - 57% Watford - 43% Huddersfield.

My Man Of The Match- Troy Deeney - The striker worked hard throughout the game and never gave up. Scored 1 and had a hand in both of Vydra's goals.

Referee - Scott Duncan.

Attendance - 12,522.