Watford 2 - 1 Wolves Match Report.

19/11/2012 17:00

Watford beat Wolves on Saturday at Vicarage road thanks to goals from Nathaniel Chalobah and Troy Deeney. Wolves played most of the match with ten men after defender Christophe Berra was contorversially sent off by referee Graham Scott after pulling back Deeney. Watford werent at their best but with Wolves at a 1 man disadvantage the home side prevailed. Gianfranco Zola made 5 changes to the side that beat Leeds 6-1. Out was Almen Abdi (Injury), Matej Vydra, Alex Geijo, Connor Smith and Ikechi Anya and incame Daniel Pudil, Jonathan Hogg, Nathaniel Chalobah, Fernando Forestieri and Troy Deeney. Lloyd Doyley made his 350th Start for the club. The game struggled in the first half to burst in to life and Wolves looked the most liklier team to score. Watfords only real chance in the first 20 minutes was when Daniel Pudil blasted over. But on 25 minutes the biggest moment of the match came. Troy Deeney was played through on goal by Mark Yeates and Christophe Berra was holding on to him the whole time. Scott played the advantage and let Deeney take the shot which was saved by Carl Ikeme. But instead of booking Berra and bringing the play back for a free kick, Scott harshley sent Berra off. Although i am a Watford fan, i thought that the decision was harsh and Scott should have booked Berra at the most. The Wolves team, management and fans were enraged with the Wolves fans calling for Scott to send off a Watford player everytime that the Orns gave away a free kick. 5 minutes after the red card winger Jermaine Oennant was substitued for defender Danny Batth by Wolves boss Stale Solbakken. But 10 minutes after the red card the Hornets made it 1-0. Almunia rolled the ball out to Mark Yeates who played a delightful ball down the wing to release Fernando Forestieri. Forestieri passed the ball in to the penalty box to the awaiting Nathaniel Chalobah who had his first shot saved by Ikeme. But Chalobah reacted the fastest and tapped the ball home to put the Orns 1-0 up. This was Chalobah's first senior goal. Jonathan Hogg maybe should have made it two soon after when he did everything right except for the finish when he blazed wide. Daniel Pudil went close near half time when his low shot when agonisingly close to going in. His shot rolled just wide.

Half Time 1 - 0

Gianfranco Zola made 1 change at half time with Marco Cassetti being replaced by top scorer Matej Vydra. The hornets also changed formation from 3-5-2 to 4-3-3. Watford nearly made it two when Mark Yeates deflected cross was fumbled by Carl Ikeme and looked like it went over the line. But the referee adjudged that it didnt. Also Jonathan Hogg should have done better when he had lots of time in the area. But he rushed his shot and the ball went miles wide. But against the run of play Wolves grabbed an equaliser. From 35 yards out, winger Bakary Sako put the ball into the area. Watford Goalkeeper and captain Manuel Almunia, misjudged the flight of thr ball and when he realised the ball was going in, it was too late with Almunia helping it into the goal. A fluke or not Wolves were level. Soon after Matej Vydra passed to Daniel Pudil who didnt get the connection he wanted from his shot and did not trouble Carl Ikeme. But on 68 minutes Watford went back in front. Fernando Forestieri played a short corner to Mark Yeates who played a delightful cross in to the box.The ball was headered by Troy Deeney and his low header bounced in to the delight of the Vicarage Road crowd. Soon after the goal Mark Yeates was bought off for Connor Smith. Also Lloyd Doyley's 350th Start didnt end in the way he would of liked when he limped off in the 72nd minute and was replaced by Adam Thompson.  Then Wolves maybe should have had a penalty when David Edwards seemed to be nudged over in the penalty box. But Graham Scott adjudged him to dive in the box and booked the player. Chalobah should have passed the ball to Vydra when he was through on goal in the last five minutes but the attack came to nothing. David Davis shot was well saved by Manuel Almunia. But with 5 minute added on neither team could make anymore opportunities count and the match ended 2-1 to the Hornets.

Full Time 2-1

Watford Line Up

Almunia (GK) (c) 6, Doyley 6 (Thompson 72 6) , Ekstrand 7, Hoban 7, Cassetti 5 (Vydra H/T 5), Hogg 6 , Chalobah 7, Yeates 8 (Smith 70 4), Pudil 7, Forestieri 7, Deeney 7.

Subs not used - Bond (GK),  Beleck , Murray, Anya.

Yellow Cards - Hogg (53), Pudil (90)

Red Cards - 0


Ikeme (GK), Stearmen, Johnson, Berra, Ward, Pennant (Batth 30), Doumbia (Davis 80) , Edwards, Sako, Sigurdarson, Doyle (Ebanks - Blake 85)

Subs not used - De Vries (GK), Nouble, Forde, Foley

Yellow Cards - Edwards (90)

Red Cards - Berra (25)

Goalscorers - Watford - Chalobah 34, Deeney 68

Wolves - Sako 54

Possesion - Watford 55% Wolves 45%

My Man of the Match - Mark Yeates - Had one of the best games i have seen him play in a Watford shot spraying balls all over the park.

Referee - Graham Scott.