Sheffield Wednesday 1 - 4 Watford Match Report

28/11/2012 17:54

Watford made it an unbeaten November as they fantasitcally beat Sheffield Wednesday 4-1 at Hillsborough with Fernando Forestieri, Alex Geijo, Troy Deeney and Mark Yeates all scoring. Their were lots of problems for hornets fans getting to Sheffield on Tuesday night, many turning back but the 531 Watford fans watched a fantastic second half display. Gianfranco Zola made 4 changes to the side that drew against Blackpool. Incame Alex Geijo and Fernando Forestieri for Troy Deeney and Matej Vydra, Jonathan Hogg replaced Cristian Battochio and Marco Cassetti replaced the injured Ikechi Anya. Former Hornet Martin Taylor started on the bench for Dave Jones Wednesday as he made 3 changes to the side that lost to Leicester. Watford got off to the worst possible start when they fell behind in the 3rd minute. Wasteful possesion of the ball from the Hornets allowed Michail Antonio to burst in to the box and easily slot past captain and orns goalkeeper Manuel Almunia. But the Hornets grew into the game and on 17 minutes they found an equaliser. Daniel Pudil threw the ball to Fernando Forestieri from a throw in and the Argentinian, drilled the ball past Wednesday goalkeeper Chris Kirkland at his near post. Forestieri had another chance 10 minutes later but he blasted well over from a free kick. Sheffield Wednesday were awarded a penalty after half an hour when Daniel Pudil tripped Jay Bothroyd in the box. Pudil seemed to be the last man and was lucky to only recieve a yellow card from referee Tony Bates. Chris Lines stepped up but his low penalty to Manuel Almunia's right was saved by the ex Arsenal goalkeeper and the goalkeeper kept the hornets on level terms.

Half Time 1-1

Martin Taylor came on for Anthony Gardner at halt time. Alex Geijo nearly scored soon after half time with his flicked near post header from Marco Cassetti's cross excellently saved by Chris Kirkland. From the resulting Corner Forestieri bought the best out of Kirkland when his Snapshot hit the Owls goalkeeprs palms. On the 60th minute referee Tony Bates went off injured and and was replaced by fourth official Tony Harrington who was experienceing his first minutes refereeing the game in the championship as the first year referee normally officitates in Leagues 1 +2 . In the 65th minute, Forestieri had an even better chance when Miguel Llera made a mistake which allowed the Argentine through but his shot was saved by Kirland after he spread himself well. But two minutes later Watford were ahead. Mark Yeates floated in a free kick which was met by tall striker Alex Geijo and he scored from close range with a header. This was his first goal for the Hornets. Due to him being booked in the 4th minute, Forestieri was substituted for Troy Deeney in the 74th Minute and with 1 miniute Deeney scored his 6th of the season and his foruth in four games. From a free kick, Alex Geijo nodded the ball down and Deeney took a touch before letting fly just inside the area giving Kirkland no chance to saved the low shot in the bottom right hand corner. 8 minutes later and it was four and was undoubtablly the goal of the night. Mark Yeates hit a stunning half volley which gave Kirkland no chance as the ball flew into the top corner.

Full Time - 1 - 4

Team Lineups

Sheffield Wednesday -  Kirkland (GK), Buxton (Johnson 57), Gardner, (C) (Taylor H/T), Llera, Helan, Antonio, Lines,Jon McCabe ( Semedo 52), Corry, Bothroyd, Sidibe.

Subs (Not Used), Bywater (GK), O'Grady, Mayor, Jones.

Bookings - Buxton (58)

Goals - Antonio (3)

Watford -  Almunia (GK) (C), Ekstrand, Hall, Hoban, Cassetti, Hogg, Chalobah, Yeates (Murray 90), Pudil (Dickinson 88), Forestieri (Deeney 74), Geijo.

Subs (Not Used) - Bonham (GK), Vydra, Smith, Battochio.

Yellow Cards - Forestieri (4), Pudil (29)

Goals - Forestieri (18), Geijo (67), Deeney (75), Yeates (83)

Possesion - Sheffield Wednesday 45% , Watford 55%

Attendance - 18,922 (531 Watford Fans)

Referee - Tony Bates