Leeds United 1 - 6 Watford Match Report.

11/11/2012 11:29

Watford amazingly beat Leeds United away at Elland Road. Goals from Matej Vydra (2), Almen Abdi, Mark Yeates, Sean Murray and Troy Deeney sealed the win for the Horents as they beat nine man Leeds. Leeds had Jason Pearce sent off before Half Time by referee Trevor Kettle and due to Neil Warnock using all his subs at half time, Leeds had to play at nearly the whole second half with nine men after Rudolph Austin injured himself meaning that Warnock could not replace him with anyone. After the game Warnock told media that Austin ahd broken his leg in two places. This is the first time Watford have won 6-1 since beating Millwall by the same score in 2010 at the Den. Gianfranco Zola made 5 changes to the side that drew 0-0 with Millwall. Out was Daniel Pudil (Suspension), Jonathan Hogg, Nathaniel Chalobah, Troy Deeney and Fernando Forestieri and in came Ikechi Anya, Connor Smith, Mark Yeates, Matej Vydra and Alex Geijo. Both sides used the 3-5-2 formation. Connor Smith had the first effort of the game inside the first minute when he blasted over Leeds goalkeeper Paddy Kenny's bar. The Horents recieved some luck in the 9th minute when David Norris deflected shot hit the post and Tommie Hoban smashed clear the rebound. Then in the 22nd Minute Leeds caused Watford problems again. Hoban misjudged the bounce of the ball which released El Hadji Diouf who set up Luke Varney who caused Joel Ekstrand problems. Manuel Almunia was on top form denieing the striker at full stretch. It looked like he picked up a slight injury but the skipper was back to his feet quickly. Then on the 28th minute Waford went ahead sending the 680 Watford supporters into madness. Matej Vydra broke away after Watford were defending the corner and passed the all to Alex Geijo. The big stiker played a lovely through ball for Vydra who finished emphatically to score his sixth goal of the season from the edge of the box given Paddy Kenny no chance. The Horents could have made it two before the break when the impressive Almen Abdi planted a shot just wide after a good run. Then before half time, Jason Pearce was given a straight red card from Referee Trevor Kettle after a reckless and strong challenge from behind on Matej Vydra. Obviously the Leeds fans were disgusted but from my point of view it was the right decision after seeing the replays a couple of time.

Half Time 0 - 1

Neil Warnock used all of his substitues at half time which turned out to be a bad decision two minutes into the second half. Rudolph Austin went down in the Watford penalty area whilst defending a corner for the home side. Austin was stretchered off and Warnock confirmed after the game that the Jamaican had broken his leg in two places. Watford ran riot after this. The Leeds fans tried to cheer their team on but Watford were now in control and looked dangerous. Firstly, on 58 minutes Ikechi Anya should have done when he blasted over. Then Watford doubled their lead after Almen Abdi turned Michael Brown and his low shot went into the bottom corner. This was his 5th Goal of the season and his 2nd in three games this week. Sadly though, this would be his last contribution as after the restart Abdi was running falt out and slipped landing awkwardly on his shoulder and was stretchered off. The swiss midfielder who ahs been outstanding this season was replaced by Jonathan Hogg. Then Mark Yeates scored his first goal of the season and his first for over a year for the club after his last goal came in the 3-2 win over Peterborough on the 20th October 2011. Anya was fouled just outside the area and Yeates stepped up to fire an unstoppable free kick past Paddy Kenny. Leeds got a goal back in the 80th Minute when poor defending from Lloyd Doyley and Joel Ekstrand led to Ekstrand fouling Varney when Varney intercepted the ball. Trevor Kettle pointed streight to the spot. Micheal Tonge stepped up and placed the ball past Manuel Almunia. But their were still more goals from Watford. On 83 Minutes Anya played a great ball into Matej Vydra who chipped the keeper to score his second goal of the match and his 7th of the season. Due to the long period of time spent attending to Austin and Abdi's injuries their were 10 minutes of added time leading to Watford scoring two more goals. In the 5th minute of extra time 'That Boy' Sean Murray scored his first goal of the season from 25 yards giving Paddy Kenny no chance. Then in the last minute, striker Troy Deeney let fly from 20 yards and his shot when into the right hand side of the goal giving Paddy Kenny again no chance. Shortly afterwards Trevor Kettle blew his whistle on a memorable game for the hornets meaning that 680 hornets fans who made the long trek. Watford's classy and accurate finished prevaled and this as shown in the stats after the game. The Orns only had 8 shots on target and 6 of them went in to the net. The win moves Watford up to 12th place and due to thier massive win, they now have a positive goal difference.

Full Time Leeds  1 - 6 Watford

Team Lineups

Leeds - Kenny (GK), Austin, Pearce, Peltier (C), Byram, Green, (Lees H/T), Norris, Tonge, White ( Brown H/T),Diouf (Hall H/T), Varney.

Subs not Used - Ashdown (GK), Kisnorbo, Becchio, Dawson.

Goals - Tonge (80) (Pen)

Yellow Cards - Byram, Brown, Borris

Red Cards - Pearce (45)

Watford - Almunia (GK) (C), Doyley, Ekstrand, Hoban, Cassetti, Smith (Murray 81), Yeates, Abdi, (Hogg 67), Anya, Geijo (Deeney 61), Vydra.

Subs Not Used - Bond (GK), Thompson, Chalobah, Forestieri.

Goals - Vydra (28, 83), Abdi (61), Yeates (75), Murray ( 90 + 5), Deeney (90 +9)

Yellow Cards - Ekstrand, Yeates

Attendance - 19,104 (680 Hornets)

Possesion - Leeds 35%, Watford 65%

Referee - Trevor Kettle.