Cardiff 2 - 1 Watford Match Report

26/10/2012 17:47

Aron Gunnarson scored a last minute winner for Cardiff as they underservibly beat Watford 2-1. Down to 9 men, Watford looked like they were heading for a good point which they deserved after a good gutsy display. But it was'nt to be and the two men advantage over Watford meant Cardiff won. Gianfranco Zola made 3 changes to the team that beat Peterborough at the Weekend. Troy Deeney, Fernando Forestieri and Almen Abdi were all dropped to the bench with Alex Geijo ( Making His first start for the club) Peterborough Match winner Matej Vydra and winger Mark Yeates replacing them. Their were a few familiar faces in the Cardiff team with Andrew Taylor, Tommy Smith, Don Cowie and Heidar Helguson all starting for Cardiff. Cardiff were restrticted to log speculative shots in the first 12 minutes with Peter Whittingham and Tommy Smith. But Watford then had the best chance the game had seen so far when top scorer Matej Vydra had a shot saved by David Marshall. But on 27 minutes Watford scored sending the away fans mad. Mark Yeates corner was headered by Marco Cassetti whose shot was saved by Marshall. Then after a scramble in the box, the ball broke for Tommie Hoban who bundled home to score his second goal for the club. Cardiff then nearly scored themselves when former hornet Don Cowie picked up the ball from Heidar Helguson but Cowies shot was the wrong side of the post.

Half time 0 - 1

Watford were held back in their own half in the second period with Cardiff searching for the equaliser. But it was Watford who had the better chances early on. Alex Geijo had a shot brilliantly saved by David Marshall. But from a corner, Watford went even closer. The ball was floated in to the area and came to Fitz Hall. The former QPR defender managed to turn and shoot with the ball smacking the crossbar. Then on 63 minutes Daniel Pudil was sent off for an apparent slap on Craig Noone. On 71 minutes Cardiff drew level from the penalty spot. Matthew Connoly drove in to the box from the corner flag and shot which hit Jonathan Hogg on the upper part of the arm. It was too quick for him to move it. But to the dismay of the Watford players and fans Mark Heywood (who was only refereeing his second championship match) gave the spt - kick. Peter Whittingham made no mistake (Unsurpriseingly) putting Cardiff back in the match. Deeney and Anya came off the bench before and after the penalty replacing Geijo and Vydra. Chalobah was then given a second yellow card after kicking the ball away.  Manuel Almunia was extremly busy in the second half saving an excellent free kick from Peter Whittingham. Watford nearly won it late on when Mark Yeates surged forward. Lloyd Doyley was unmarked in the area but instead of sqauring it to him Yeates shot and missed. But it wasnt to be for Watford as Gunnarson scored with a header in the final minute to break Watfords Hearts.

Cardiff :  Marshall; Connolly, Hudson (c), Turner (Gestede 74), Taylor; Smith (Gunnarsson 84), Cowie, Whittingham, Noone; Helguson, Bellamy (Mason h/time). Subs not used: Lewis (GK), McNaughton, Conway, Bo-Kyung. 

Watford - : Almunia (c); Doyley, Hall, Hoban; Cassetti (Thompson 72), Chalobah, Hogg, Yeates, Pudil; Vydra (Anya 60), Geijo (Deeney 74). Subs: Bond (GK), Murray, Abdi, Forestieri.
BOOKINGS: Cardiff; Hudson (57). Watford; Cassetti (18), Chalobah (34), Hogg (70).
SENDINGS OFF: Bluebirds; none. HORNETS; Pudil (63), Chalobah (73).
REFEREE: Mark Heywood