Burnley 0 - 0 Watford Match Report.

04/12/2013 17:24

Watford held 2nd place Burnley to a 0-0 drawat Turf Moor yesterday evening in the Sky Bet Championship in what was a gritty display by the Goldon Boys. The Hornets came the closest of either team to score with Lewis McGugans goal bound effort being headered off the line but the Golden Boys and fans can be pleased with a point on the road against one of the divisions stronger teams at the moment. Gianfranco Zola changed Watfords formation from 3-5-2 to 4-5-1 and made 2 changes to the side that started the 3-0 defeat to Yeovil at the weekend. Marco Davide Faraoni replaced Daniel Pudil whilst Cristian Battochio replaced Fernando Forestieri with Forestieri and Pudil both dropping to the bench. Troy Deeney captained the side once again and played in the lone striker role. Jonathan Bond retained his place in goal with Faraoni and Cassetti playing right back and full back. Nyron Nosworthy and Joel Ekstrand were the Hornets central defenders. The Hornets midfield consisted of George Thorne, Lewis McGugan and Cristian Battochio with Hector Bellerin and Sean Murray playing out wide. Sean Dyche had to make 3 changes to the Burnley side. Danny Ings missed out through injury whilst Michael Duff missed out through suspension. Former Watford loanee Michael Kightly dropped to the bench. In came Kevin Long, Keith Treacy and Junior Stanislas for Burnley. Watford suffered an early scare when no Burnley player attacked an Inviting Corner which would have gone in with a touch. Burnley captain Jason Shackell then saw a free header from a corner go over the bar. Jonathan Bond then had to make two god saves from two efforts from Scott Arfield the second of which being very impressive as he saved a goal bound effort and pushed it away for a corner. Burnley certainly had the better chances during the first half and Keith Treacy saw a 25 yard shot easily saved by Jonathan Bond

Half Time - 0-0

Watford certainly improved after the break and had the better of the chances during the first half. Their were signs of the Hornets intentions early on in the second half when Hector Bellerins cross found Lewis McGugan whose side footed volley was well saved by Burnleys Tom Heaton. Then soon later, McGugan crossed the ball in for Murray whose goal bound shot was blocked by Jason Shackell. Watford were now on top and the Hornets would have gone ahead if it werent for a great piece of defending from Burnleys Ben Mee. Sean Murray was released down the left hand side and crossed the ball into the box. The ball found Lewis McGugan who took a touch before firing towards goal. It looked certain to go in but it was headered off the line by Ben Mee. Watford then made their first change in the 71st minute with Sean Murray making way for Diego Fabbrini. Marco Cassetti was then replaced by Daniel Pudil in the 81st minute. In the dieing minutes Troy Deeney released Lewis McGugan in the box and his deflected effort went into the side netting. But that was that and the Hornets came out with a point and their first clean sheet since their 1-0 win over Wigan towards the end of September.

Full Time - 0-0

Team Lineups

Burnley - Heaton  (GK), Trippier, Long, Shackell (C), Mee, Treacy (Kightly 69) , Stock, Jones, Stanislas (Hewitt 80), Arfield, Vokes.

Subs Not Used - Cisak (GK), Lafferty, Edgar, Howieson, Dummingan.

Goals - None

Bookings - None

Watford - Bond (GK), Faraoni, Nosworthy, Ekstrand, Cassetti (Pudil 81) , Bellerin, Thorne, McGugan, Battochio, Murray (Fabbrini 71), Deeney (C)

Subs Not Used - Woods (GK), Hall, Iriney, Forestieri, Acuna

Goals - None

Bookings - Nosworthy, Cassetti.

Possesion - 57 % Burnley 43% Watford.

Attendance - 10,910 ( 274 Watford Fans)

Referee - Michael Naylor.