Brighton 1 -1 Watford Match Report.

30/10/2013 17:40

Watford were held to a 1-1 draw at Brighton on Monday night in the Sky Bet Championship and the Hornets were on the recieving end of some controversial decisions. The main one came staright after halft time when Fernando Forestieri's shot was clearly helped over the line but referee Keith Hill did not give the goal. This perhaps may have killled off Brighton who equalised just 5 minutes after this controversial decision leading Gianfranco Zola to call for Goal Line Technology to be added to the Championship. Gianfranco Zola made 4 changes to the side that lost 3-2 to Derby. Lloyd Doyley, Marco Davide Faraoni, Sean Murray and Troy Deeney all came in to the side with Essaid Belkalem missing out and Marco Cassetti, Iriney and Diego Fabbrini all dropping to the bench. The match started brightly and the Hornets were ahead after just 4 minutes. Fernando Forestieri played the ball to Sean Murray who took a touch before unleashing an effort which took a deflection off Stephen Ward and went into the goal. This was the youngsters 4th goal of the season and his second in the league.It could have easily been 2-0 after 9 minutes, when Lewis McGugans curling effort went just wide of the post. Brighton slowly clawed their way back into the match after the Hornets earlier dominance. Manuel Almunia made a good save after former Hornets Will Buckleys cross found Ashley Barnes whose goal bound header was tipped around the post. Then in the 22nd minute, Brightons Craig Conway sent his effort wide. Fernando Forestieri was maybe lucky to come away with a yellow card soon after when he challenged Tomasz Kuszczak late in the 25th minute. Sean Murray then tried to chip Kuszczak but his effrot was easily saved. Brighton continued to pressuries the Hornets and Gabriella Angella had to make a goalline clearence to prevent Ashley Barnes from tapping the ball home.

Half Time - 0-1

After barely 1 minute of the second half, the games controversial moment occured. Marco Davide Faraoni played in Fernando Forestieri whose effort was miscontrolled by Gordon Greer and the ball clearly rolled over the line before Greer clearing. It was clearly a goal but ref Keith Hill did not give it and this galvanised Brighton. After clearing Marco Davide Faraoni won the ball but his effort was just saved by Kuszczak. Then the invenitable happened in the 54th minute. From a Brighton corner, the ball bounced around the box before Andrew Crofts smashed the ball home to equalise for Brighton. Then Bruno who was already on a yellow card scinically bought down Daniel Pudil it what should have been second yellow and red but ref Keith Hill only gave him a final warning. From the resulting free kick, McGugans effort went just wide. In the 79th minute, Diego Fabbrini came on for Joel Ekstrand in what was the Hornets only change. The Hornets nearly won it with five minutes to go when Fernando Forestieri met Marco Davide Faraonis cross but his header hit the post. The hornets also had Manuel Almunia to thank in the dieing minutes when he excellently saved Andrew Crofts effort. But that was that and the Hornets were left ruling refereeing decisions which if different could have seen them win the match.

Full Time - 1-1

Brighton - Kuzsczak (GK), Bruno, Greer (C), Upson, Ward (Calderon 90), Andrews, Crofts, Forster - Caskey, Buckley, Barnes, Conway (Lita 72).

Subs Not Used - Ankergren (GK), El-Abd, Lopez, March, Ince.

Goals - Crofts (54)

Yellow Cards - Bruno.

Watford - Almunia (GK)(C), Doyley, Angella, Ekstrand (Fabbrini 79), Faraoni, McEachran, McGugan, Murray, Pudil, Forestieri, Deeney.

Subs - Bond (GK), Cassetti, Anya, Iriney, Battochio, Acuna.

Possesion - 50% Brighton 50% Watford.

Attendance - 27.657 (1256 Watford Fans)

Referee - Keith Hill.