Blackpool 1 - 0 Watford Match Report.

02/09/2013 16:39

A fine goal from substitue Thomas Ince in the 81st minute sealed the three points for Blackpool against Watford meaning that the tangerines moved to the top of the table. The Hornets who were dominant in the first half, missed a penalty and hit the post and bar. If they had taken their chances in the first half, the Hornets would have had been comfortably ahead at half time. Gianfranco Zola made two changes to the side that drew 1-1 with Nottingham Forest on the 25th August. Lloyd Doyley missed out due to injury meaning that Joel Ekstrand took his place in the back for. Daniel Pudil dropped to the bench as well meaning that Marco Davide Faraoni took his place at left wing back. Recent debutant Essaid Belkalem was on the bench. Troy Deeney was in the thick of the action early on seeing a header go onto the roof of the net and seeing Matt Gilks save a 30 yard effort in the Blackpool goal. Then in the 13th minute, the Hornets were awardd a penalty by referee Geoff Eltringham. Almen Abdi won the ball and drove into the penalty box after skipping past blackpools challenges but was hauled down by Neil Bishop. Referee Geoff Eltringham had not hesitation to point to the spot. Troy Deeney resumed penalty duties but his effort was excellently saved by Matt Gilks after he guessed correctly in the Blackpool goal. However, the penalty miss did not dampen the Hornets spirits. Three minutes after the penalty miss, Deeney held the ball up before playing the ball back to Diego Fabbrini whose effort hit the crossbar. Blackpools best chance of the half fell to Nathan Delfouneso but his effort was scrambled away by Manuel Almunia and Almen Abdi. In the 40th minute, Ikechi Anya played a deep ball into the box that was met by Marco Faraoni but his headed effort hit the post.

Half Time - 0-0.

Blackpool came out the much better team in the second half. Early on, Ricardo Fuller pulled an effort wide. Their were limited chances in the second half but Blackpool pressuried the Hornets. Blackpool made their decisive substitution in the 66th minute bringing on Tom Ince for Tom Barkhuisen. The Hornets then brang on Fernando Forestieri in the 73rd minute. But in the 81st minute, Blackpool took the lead. Tom Ince picked up the ball and skipped past 4 Watford players before driving the ball home. It was an excellent goal and the tangerines did what the Hornets couldnt; convert their chances when it came their way. Zola responded to the Hornets going behind by bringing on Javier Acuna and Sean Murray. Fernando Forestieri saw a late 20 yard effort go just over but before to long the match was over and the Hornets were beaten for the first time in the 2013/14 season.

Full Time - 1-0

Team Lineups

Blackpool - Gilks (GK), Bishop, Basham, Broadfoot,  Robinson, Barkhuisen (Ince 66), Ferguson (C), Osbourne, Angel, Delfounseso (Caton 90), Fuller.

Subs Not Used - Halstead (GK), Chopra, Grant, Harris, McGahey.

Booked - Ferguson, Robinson, Angel, Bishop

Goals - Ince (81)

Watford - Almunia (GK)(C), Cassetti, Angella, Ekstrand, Anya, Iriney (Murray 86), McGugan, Abdi (Acuna 86), Deeney, Fabbrini (Forestieri 73)

Subs Not Used - Bond (GK), Belkalem, Pudil, Smith.

Booked - Angella, Ekstrand, Iriney.

Goals - None.

Possesion - 53 % Blackpool 47% Watford.

Attendance - 13,345 (1175 Watford fans)

Referee - Geoff Eltringham